Spanish Style Shrimp Stew
Enjoy this Mediterranean-flavored seafood stew
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 1 C fennel (about 1 bulb, outer layers removed), rinsed and diced (or substitute leek or onion)
- 2 cans (14½ oz each) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lb new (red) potatoes, rinsed and
- quartered (about 2 C) 12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 24 pieces)
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add garlic and fennel, and cook on medium heat, stirring often, until the fennel pieces begin to soften, about 5–7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and potatoes, and bring to a boil. Lower temperature to a gentle simmer, and cook until the potatoes begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, oregano, lemon juice, and basil, and mix gently. Continue to simmer until the shrimp are pink and fully cooked, about 5 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Add salt and pepper.
- Serve 1½ cups stew (each serving to include about six shrimp).
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 211, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 126 mg, Sodium 375 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 18 g, Carbohydrates 25 g, Potassium 276 mg