Rockport Fish Chowder
Low-fat milk and clam juice are the secrets to the lower fat content of this
satisfying supper soup.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 15 MINS
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ C coarsely chopped onion
- ½ C coarsely chopped celery
- 1 C sliced carrots
- 2 C potatoes, rinsed, peeled, and cubed
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 C bottled clam juice
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb fresh or frozen (thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ¼ C flour
- 3 C low-fat (1 percent) or fat-free milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and celery, and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam juice. Wrap peppercorns and bay leaf in cheese cloth, and add to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add fish and simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
- Remove fish and vegetables from the pot; break fish into chunks. Bring the broth to a boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Shake flour and ½ cup milk in a container with a tight-fitting lid until smoothly mixed together. Add to broth in the pot, along with the remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 186, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 34 mg, Sodium 302 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.