Roasted Beets With Orange Sauce
This colorful side dish comes alive with orange flavor.
PREP TIME :
- 1½ lb small beets, leaves trimmed each peeled and cut into four chunks
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 orange, rinsed (for peel and juice)
- ½ tsp anise seed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- In a medium bowl, toss the beets with the olive oil until well coated.
- Spread beets on baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 30–40 minutes. When done, beets should be easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- While beets bake, grate the zest from the orange. Place in a small bowl. Cut the orange in half. Squeeze the juice (about ½ cup) into the bowl with the orange zest. (Use a large spoon to press the inside of the orange to extract more juice.) Add anise seeds (optional). Set aside.
- When the beets are tender, return them to the tossing bowl. Pour the juice mixture over the beets.Mix well to coat, and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 59, Total fat 0 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 88 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 2 g, Carbohydrates 12 g, Potassium 387 mg.