Nectarine and Raspberry Cobbler
Late summer fruits make a sweet dessert when baked into this tasty and colorful cobbler. Dark red raspberries contain vitamin C and compounds like ellagic acid, while golden nectarines boast carotenoid compounds. Both fruits contain cancer-protective fiber, as does the whole-grain crust it’s wrapped in.
PREP TIME :
- Canola oil spray
- 6 cups thinly sliced nectarines (about 6-8 small)
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking dish with canola oil spray. In a bowl, toss nectarines and raspberries with 1/2 cup sugar, using your hands to distribute the sugar evenly. Pour the fruit, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula, into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar, and cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into dry ingredients using a pastry blender or tines of a fork. Work mixture with the tips of your fingers until grainy. Mix in buttermilk with a wooden spoon until soft, moist dough forms.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour. Gently pat dough into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle using the heel of your hand. Sprinkle dough lightly with flour, if it becomes too sticky. Dip the rim of a 2-inch glass in flour and cut 9 rounds from the dough. Arrange rounds in 3 rows on top of fruit in baking dish. Rounds should almost touch and should leave a border of fruit along the outer edges of dish.
- Bake cobbler for 25 – 30 minutes, until biscuits are lightly browned and fruit is bubbling. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes and serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving):
193 calories, 3 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 5 g fiber, 223 mg sodium.