Lentils make a hearty alternative to meat in veggie burgers, soups and salads like this one. Legumes like lentils are rich in fiber, protein, iron and folate. Plus they’re a low-calorie option if your resolution this year is to watch your weight.
PREP TIME :
- 2 cups dried green or brown lentils
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup capers (diced if large)
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Rinse lentils and drain. Place in a pot and cover with about 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes (lentils should still be slightly al dente).
- While the lentils are cooking, make the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together (or shaking in a jar with a tight-fitting lid).
- When the lentils are cooked, remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Mix in the onion and capers.
- Add arugula, cucumber, walnuts and feta just before serving.
Nutrition (per serving):
220 calories, 11 g fat, 23 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 370 mg sodium.