Chicken Baked with Cabbage and Leek
Flavorful roast chicken goes green thanks to Napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts and leeks. These three veggies don’t just offer festive color; they’re also an important part of a cancer-protective diet, boasting vitamin C, fiber and glucosinolates.
PREP TIME :
- 1 (2 lb.) Savoy or Napa cabbage
- 8 large Brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (3 lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, or 4 (6 oz.) chicken breast halves with rib and skin
- 1 large leek, white part and 1-inch light green part, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced crosswise
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Spanish paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Halve cabbage vertically and set one half aside for another use. Cut remaining cabbage into 2 wedges and cut away core. Cut wedges crosswise into 3/4-inch strips. There will be about 4 cups. Cut each Brussels sprout vertically into 4 slices.
- In medium skillet that can go into oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Reserving wings for another use, arrange chicken skin side down in hot pan and cook until skin is browned, turning pieces as needed, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from pan.
- Add cabbage, Brussels sprouts, leek and onion to pan, stirring to coat with remaining drippings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage and onion are limp and onion translucent, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and mix to combine. Return chicken to pan, placing pieces skin side up on top of vegetables. Pour in broth. Place pan in oven, uncovered.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 160 degrees, about 15 minutes for breast, 20 minutes for thigh.
- To serve, remove skin from chicken and divide pieces among four dinner plates. Spoon one-fourth of vegetables on top of or next to chicken. Spoon pan juices over chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition (per serving):
348 calories, 12 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate,
39 g protein, 8 g dietary fiber, 360 mg sodium.