Braised Cod With Leeks
A simple, but elegant, weeknight meal.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 C leeks, split lengthwise, sliced thin, and rinsed well
- 3 medium carrots, rinsed, peeled, and cut into thin sticks
- 4 new (red) potatoes, rinsed and sliced into
- ½-inch thick circles
- 2 C low- sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 12 oz cod fillets, cut into 4 portions (3 oz each)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add leeks and carrots, and cook gently for 3–5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, parsley, and salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are just tender, about 10–12 minutes.
- Add cod fillets, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Continue cooking over low heat for an additional 5 minutes or until the fish is white and flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Serve each cod fillet with 1½ cups broth and vegetables.
Tip: Delicious with Asparagus With Lemon Sauce.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 158, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 42 mg, Sodium 437 mg, Total fiber 3 g, Protein 17 g, Carbohydrates 13 g, Potassium 476 mg.