Bowtie Pasta With Chicken Broccoli and Feta
This yummy dish provides a tasty way to get your children to eat broccoli.
PREP TIME :
- 2 C dry whole-wheat bowtie pasta (farfalle) (8oz)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about ½ clove)
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, rinsed and cut into quarters
- 4 C cooked broccoli florets (or 1 1-lb bag frozen broccoli, thawed)
- 1 C grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 2 small breasts) (Leftover Friendly)
- 2 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium lemon, rinsed, for 1 tsp zest and 1 Tbsp juice (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the lemon; squeeze juice and set aside)
- 2 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, diced (Heathy Eating Two Ways)
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned (about 30 seconds).
- Add mushrooms and heat until lightly browned and soft.
- Add broccoli, diced chicken, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes, until the broccoli and chicken are heated through.
- Add pasta, and toss gently. Continue to simmer until pasta is hot, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and juice, and toss gentle.
- Serve 2 cups of pasta and sauce per portion. Top each portion with 1½ tablespoons feta cheese.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 421, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 285 mg, Total fiber 8 g, Protein 36 g, Carbohydrates 49 g, Potassium 697 mg, Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 140%, Calcium 10%, Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.