Here’s a great new way to use summer vegetables.
PREP TIME :
- 3 C water
- 1 cube (1 tsp) low-sodium vegetable bouillon
- 2 C white potatoes, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 C carrots, sliced
- 4 C summer squash, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 C summer squash, cut into 4 large chunks
- 1 can (15 oz) sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1½ C)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk scallion (green onion), chopped
- ½ small hot pepper, chopped
- 1 C coarsely chopped onion
- 1 C diced tomatoes
- Put water and bouillon in a large pot, and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the four large chunks of squash and puree in a blender. Return pureed mixture to the pot, and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken before serving.
- Note: You can add other favorite vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 119, Total fat 1 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 196 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Potassium 524 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.