Three Bean Chili With Chunky Tomatoes
Spice is nice, especially on a chilly night!
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 C onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ C celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1 C green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (14½ oz each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10–20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: Delicious with rice or a side of Good-for-You Cornbread.
Note: If you can’t find beans labeled “low sodium,” compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 443, Total fat 8 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 331 mg, Total fiber 16 g, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 73 g, Potassium 1,411 mg