Tex-Mex Pulled Chicken Sandwich
Slow cookers can make healthy cooking easy. This pulled chicken sandwich will satisfy your barbecue craving without the red meat and smoking of a traditional southern recipe.
PREP TIME :
6 HOURS, 13 MINS
- 1 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. no salt added tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs. skinless and boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 2 poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, halved and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- In 6- or 8-quart slow cooker, combine tomato sauce, paste, Worcestershire sauce, chopped onion, garlic, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, salt and pepper, spreading mixture to cover bottom of cooker.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of sauce in cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange poblano halves skin-side up on baking sheet. Bake until skin is blistered, 10 to 13 minutes. Wrap peppers in foil and set aside for 5 minutes. With your fingers, pull off skin. Cut peppers lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips. Scrub your hands thoroughly.
- After chicken has cooked for 2 hours, add poblanos and sliced onion to slow cooker, distributing them over chicken. Cover and continue cooking until chicken shreds when picked at with fork, about an additional 4 hours.
- Remove chicken to plate. One piece at a time, using 2 forks, shred chicken pieces by pulling them apart. Return chicken to slow cooker and mix with sauce, stirring vigorously.
- To serve, toast buns. For each sandwich, place bottom half of bun on sandwich plate, top with one-sixth of pulled chicken and cover with bun top. Serve accompanied by coleslaw and pickle spears.
Nutrition (per serving):
364 calories, 8 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrate,
38 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 510 mg sodium.