Tasty Herb and Spice Brown Rice Balls
These tasty, whole-grain balls can be batch-cooked and stored in the freezer for a fast anytime meal. Brown rice, garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices pack potent plant compounds studied for their role in cancer prevention, and these savory treats provide some fiber.
PREP TIME :
- 2 cups Jasmine brown rice
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted and minced*
- 1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup regular or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- Cook rice per package instructions.
- To roast garlic, place unpeeled heads of garlic in a tin foil bundle, drizzle with ½ teaspoon oil and wrap tightly. Roast in 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or until soft when pressed. (Note: if you’re tight on time, mince the garlic and sauté with parsley and olive oil over medium heat.) Once cool enough to handle, remove peel and mash cloves into paste.
- In large bowl, mix cooked brown rice, egg and Parmesan cheese.
- Add roasted garlic paste, parsley, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cumin. Roll mixture into small balls.
- Mix breadcrumbs and smoked paprika in another bowl.
- Roll the rice balls in the breadcrumbs mixture to coat.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and cook the rice balls, turning to brown them on all the sides, about 15-20 minutes.
- * Tip: you can roast the garlic earlier in the week when you are already using the oven.
Nutrition (per serving):
240 calories, 5 g total fat (1.5 g. saturated fat), 41 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 2 g fiber, 150 mg sodium.