Spinach Saag with Golden Tofu
Tofu is low in calories and packed with protein and other important nutrients. Soyfoods also contain phytochemicals called isoflavones. This vegan dish features sautéed tofu and spinach mixed with a medley of Indian spices.
PREP TIME :
- 1 package (12-14 oz.) firm tofu
- 2 bags (5 oz.) baby spinach
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1¼ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1½ tsp. grated ginger, or 1 Tbsp. finely chopped
- 1 green or red chile pepper, chopped (seeds optional)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 vine tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Drain tofu and halve block horizontally into 2 slabs. Line baking sheet with 3 layers of paper towels. Place tofu slabs on baking sheet, touching side by side. Cover tofu with 2 layers of paper towels. Set another baking sheet on top of tofu. Place 4 large cans on top of baking sheet. (Canned tomatoes or beans work well.) Or use 2 large cans and then place empty cast iron skillet on top of them. Press for 20 minutes.
- While tofu presses, rinse spinach and drain in colander. Pat spinach with paper towels or whirl in salad spinner, in batches, if necessary, until almost dry. Set spinach aside.
- Cut pressed tofu into 3/4-inch cubes. Place tofu in bowl, add 1 tablespoon oil and gently toss to coat tofu.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange tofu in 1 layer and cook until golden on bottom, 3-4 minutes. Turn and cook cubes until golden to brown on 2 more sides, about 6 minutes in all, then transfer to plate and set aside. Wipe out pan, and return to heat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they start to color, 5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic, ginger and chile pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric, stirring until spices coat onions and are fragrant, 30 seconds. Mix in tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is moist and lumpy, 4 minutes. Add half the spinach, mixing until it collapses, 3 minutes. Add remaining spinach and stir until it collapses, 2 minutes. Add tofu and cook, stirring often, until spinach is very moist, 4 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until spinach is tender, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper
Nutrition (per serving):
221 calories, 14 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 101 mg sodium.