Rigatoni with Red Peppers
Whole-wheat rigatoni and colorful red peppers are the stars of this simple pasta sauté. Whole grains are rich in fiber, a nutrient important for lowering risk of certain cancers, particularly colorectal.
PREP TIME :
- 12 oz. rigatoni, whole-wheat preferred
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, deseeded and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 oz. fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup water. Return pasta to pot to keep warm.
- While pasta cooks, in skillet heat oil over high heat. Stir in onion, peppers and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Sauté, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes, add spinach and continue to sauté until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted, about 5 more minutes.
- Add vegetables, reserved pasta water and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese to pasta and gently toss to combine.
- To serve, top pasta with basil and remainder of Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition (per serving):
282 calories, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 49 g carbohydrate,
14 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 171 mg sodium.