Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
This delightful chilled salad works as an entree or a side dish.
PREP TIME :
- ½ C quinoa
- 1½ C water
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander (dried cilantro seeds)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 medium scallions, minced
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 C tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilis (or to taste), minced
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil 1½ cups water in a saucepan, then add the quinoa. Return to boil, then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 208, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 284 mg, Total fiber 7 g, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrates 34 g, Potassium 619 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.