Pineapple Pico de Gallo
Similar to a salsa, pico de gallo pairs great with grilled fish, chicken, lean steaks, vegetables and whole-grain corn chips.
PREP TIME :
- 2/3 cup diced Roma tomato, seeded
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple*
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 medium scallions, finely chopped, including some green stem (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 fresh medium lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In medium bowl, gently combine all ingredients.
- Chill one to two hours to let flavors mingle.
- Toss lightly before serving. Serve with fish, chicken, pork or baked whole-grain tortilla chips. Store covered in refrigerator up to 3 days.
* Canned pineapple in natural juice may be used if fresh pineapple is not available.
Nutrition (per serving):
25 calories, 1 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 4 g carbohydrate