Peppers Stuffed with Turkey and Wild Rice
Green peppers are rich in lutein, red peppers are packed with beta-carotene and tomatoes provide lycopene. This recipe features a rainbow of healthy veggies and flavorful wild rice packed inside an edible pepper bowl.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms, any kind
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots, steamed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 4 large green or red bell peppers (or any combination), tops removed* and seeded
*Save tops to cover peppers during baking for a moister filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Add turkey, spinach, tomatoes, garlic and seasonings and cook until turkey is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Place turkey mixture in large mixing bowl and add carrots and wild rice. Combine well. Using spoon, lightly pack mixture into peppers.
- Place peppers in 9-inch square oven dish, add 1/4 cup water to bottom of pan and bake about 45-50 minutes or until peppers are just tender. Serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
329 calories, 14 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrate,
26 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 146 mg sodium.