Pasta Shells with Garlicky Kale
Creamy pasta meets nutrition-packed kale in this recipe for the ultimate side dish. Kale’s popularity is rising, and with good reason – it’s super rich in vitamins A, C and K.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 10-12 oz. (10-12 cups, loosely packed) pre-washed baby kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. small whole-wheat pasta shells, cooked to package directions
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic with red pepper about 2 minutes.
- Stir in about half the greens, broth, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until greens wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining greens, cover and cook an additional 12 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Place cooked, drained pasta in saucepan. Add greens mixture and gently toss until well combined.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
302 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
56 g carbohydrate, 13 g protein, 7 g dietary fiber, 264 mg sodium.