Moroccan Chicken Salad
This spiced up version of chicken salad is based on the Moroccan dish, bistilla, often made to mark special occasions. It features simple ingredients, transformed by cinnamon, ginger and turmeric into a richly flavorful dish.
PREP TIME :
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast, in bite-size pieces
- 1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 4 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Halve eggs. Place 1 yolk in small bowl and set aside; discard second yolk. Coarsely chop egg whites and place in medium mixing bowl. Add chicken, orange, almonds, raisins and 3 tablespoons parsley to egg whites. Using fork, toss to combine.
- For dressing, mix orange juice with egg yolk, mashing to combine. Whisk in cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and salt until blended. Add 4-5 grinds of pepper. Whisk in oil.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture and toss with fork to combine. Let salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
Nutrition (per serving):
274 calories, 12 g fat (2 g sat fat), 15 g carbohydrates,
27 g protein, 2 g fiber 319 mg sodium.