Lime and Chicken Soup with Avocado
Chicken soup may be a winter staple, but zesty lime and fresh avocado can easily dress this dish up for a rainy summer day. This recipe features a medley of colorful veggies, Italian herbs and juicy citrus.
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 3 medium limes, 2 cut in half, 1 cut into 6 wedges for garnish
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cube
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic for 6 minutes or until tender. Add whole chicken breast, corn, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, oregano and cumin to pot. Stir to mix ingredients. Over high heat bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 55 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast to large platter and shred using two folks. Return chicken to soup.
- Over strainer to catch seeds, squeeze juice of 2 limes into soup. Add cilantro and gently stir. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with avocado, garnish with lime wedge and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
258 calories, 12 g total fat (2 g saturated fat),
18 g carbohydrate, 24 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 589 mg sodium.