Layered Nachos Grandes
Homemade nachos are the perfect comfort food for a festive appetizer or a summer get-together. Fresh salsa, protein-rich beans and colorful avocado form decadent layers in this baked version of nachos grandes.
PREP TIME :
- 1 cup finely chopped ripe tomato, seeded, about 2 on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1/2 cup drained canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
Refried Black Beans
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- 24 Restaurant-style reduced-sodium tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 8 tsp. reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 cilantro leaves
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 (1/4-inch wide) avocado slices, halved crosswise
- 1/2 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
- To make salsa fresca, in mixing bowl, use fork to combine fresh tomato, canned tomato, onion, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. There will be 2 cups salsa. Set aside.
- To make refried beans, coat cast iron or other heavy medium skillet with cooking spray. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beans and cumin and 1/2 cup water. Using sturdy fork, mash beans until lumpy and a bit soft. Season to taste with salt. Set aside 1/2 cup, reserving remaining beans for another use.
- To assemble nachos, arrange 8 tortilla chips on prepared baking sheet. Top each chip with 1 tablespoon refried black beans. Add 1/2 tablespoon cheese. Top with second tortilla chip. Sprinkle on 1/2 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake chips until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
- Using wide spatula, transfer two stacked nachos to each of 4 plates. Spoon 1 tablespoon salsa fresca on top of melted cheese and top each nacho with a third tortilla chip. Top with another tablespoon salsa fresca, the sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño and avocado. Add a squirt of lime juice. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
192 calories, 12 g total fat (4 g saturated fat),
16 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 105 mg sodium.