Fusilli with Broccoli Rabe Pesto and Burst Cherry Tomatoes
Kick-start your New Year’s resolution with an easy, nutritious meal. The healthy secret to this simple pasta dish is in the sauce.
PREP TIME :
- 1 bunch (about 1 1/4 lbs.) broccoli rabe
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. whole-wheat or whole-grain fusilli
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup (10.5 oz.) small cherry tomatoes
- Bring large pot filled with water to boil.
- Meanwhile, cut off bottom 2 inches of stems from broccoli rabe. Picking through bunch, break off and discard remaining woody part from thick stems. Pinch off and set aside florets, saving them for another use.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to boiling water. Add broccoli rabe. Cook with water bubbling until greens are tender but firm, 8 minutes. Drain greens in colander. Use back of wooden spoon to press greens firmly against side of colander to extract as much water as possible from broccoli rabe; greens should be moist not wet.
- Refill drained pot with water and cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks, pulse almonds, garlic and red pepper flakes (if using), in food processor until coarsely chopped, 10-12 pulses. Add broccoli rabe and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Add cheese and pulse 10 times. With motor running, drizzle in 2 tablespoons oil. Pesto should be finely textured with white flecks of nut, not a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain cooked pasta and divide it among 4 wide, shallow bowls. Add pesto and using fork, combine with pasta.
- In medium skillet heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until oil shimmers. Add tomatoes and cook, using wooden spoon to keep tomatoes rolling in pan until skin cracks on serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
424 calories, 21 g total fat (3 g saturated fat),
48 g carbohydrate, 12 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 110 mg sodium.