Fall Harvest Salad
This hearty fall salad is the perfect one-pan medley of winter squash, crunchy kale and spiced chickpeas, all roasted to perfection. By roasting all on one pan, you’ll cut time and clean-up while combining tons of cancer-fighting foods.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb. cubed butternut squash
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 oz bag pre-chopped kale
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (14.5 oz ) can chickpeas (no salt added)
- 8 oz. bag fresh spinach
- 2 oz soft goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 small ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 wedges lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drizzle 1/2 the olive oil over the butternut squash, parsnips and Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the toppings and make the vinaigrette by whisking together ingredients or pulsing in a food processor/blender.
- Season kale, garlic and chickpeas with remaining olive oil.
- Once the vegetables have roasted for 30 min, remove from oven and stir thoroughly.
- Add chickpeas and kale and return to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until chickpeas are lightly toasted and kale is crispy.
- Divide spinach among 4 bowls and toss each with ~1 Tbsp vinaigrette.
- Top with roasted vegetables, a sprinkle of goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, sliced avocado and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Nutrition (per serving):
480 calories, 22 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 g carbohydrate, 16 g protein, 15 g fiber, 310 mg sodium.