Similar to a Spanish empaňada, this empaňa”pita” uses pita bread for the shell.
PREP TIME :
- 2 C canned low- sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 C frozen broccoli, corn, and pepper vegetable mix, thawed (Leftover Friendly)
- 2 C grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 4 small breasts)
- ½ C shredded low- moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 2 Tbsp scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped (or substitute red onions)
- 2 (6½-inch) whole- wheat pitas
- 1 C Tangy Salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Combine beans, vegetables, chicken, cheese, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half, and open the pockets. Divide filling evenly between the four halves (about 1½ cups each).
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling is hot, cheese melts, and chicken is reheated.
- Serve each empanapita with ¼ cup of Tangy Salsa.
- Note: If you can’t find beans labeled "low sodium," compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help reduce sodium levels further.
- If you don’t have leftover cooked vegetables, see basic cooking instructions.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 373, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 34 mg, Sodium 374 mg, Total fiber 14 g, Protein 27 g, Carbohydrates 60 g, Potassium 741 mg, Vitamin A 180%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 8%, Iron 25%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.