Cremini Mushrooms with Cashew Cream Sauce over Linguini
This plant-based entrée is inspired by trendy, homemade cashew creams. With simple soak ‘n cook steps and a powerful blender, it’s easy to whip up our savory mushroom-cashew sauce.
PREP TIME :
- 3 cups mushroom broth, divided
- 1 small-medium potato, peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
- raw unsalted cashews
- 12 oz. whole-wheat linguini, fettuccini or wide noodles
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb. cremini, baby portabella or brown mushrooms, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 3 Tbsp. finely ground flaxseed, preferably golden
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- In small pot, bring 1½ cups broth, potato and cashews to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium high and cook until potato is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Using handheld strainer, pour broth into small bowl and retain potato and cashews in strainer. Rest strainer over bowl.
- Cook pasta according to cooking directions and keep warm.
- While, potatoes, cashews and pasta cook, in large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, pinch of salt and few grinds of fresh pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add herbs and sauté 1 minute. Transfer onion-celery mixture to large bowl, cover with foil and set aside.
- Using same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pinch of salt and few grinds of pepper and sauté until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes. Add sautéed mushrooms to bowl with onion-celery mixture and mix together.
- In high-speed blender add half vegetable mixture. Recover remaining mixture with foil to keep warm. Add potato, cashews and flaxseed. In 2-cup liquid measuring cup, pour in reserved mushroom broth (original 1½ cups will have reduced during cooking). Add additional broth to measure 1½ cups. Add broth to blender. Purée all on high until smooth.
- Return sauce to skillet over medium heat and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in additional broth if necessary for desired consistency.
- Divide pasta among 6 large bowls. Ladle sauce over pasta and top with remaining mushroom mixture. Garnish with parsley, if using, and serve. Alternatively, toss all pasta with sauce, top with mushroom mixture and garnish with parsley, if using, before plating.
Nutrition (per serving):
438 calories, 18 g total fat (3 g saturated fat),
59 gcarbohydrate, 15 g protein, 8 g dietary fiber, 250 mg sodium.