Chicken Quesadillas With Red and Green Salsa
This delicious finger food can be served as an appetizer or main-dish meal.
PREP TIME :
- 4 medium tomatoes, rinsed and diced (about 2 C)
- ½ C red onion, diced
- 1 medium Jalapeno chili pepper, rinsed and split lengthwise—remove seeds and white membrane, and
- mince (about 2 Tbsp); for less spice, use green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (or about 4 limes)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili sauce
- 2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded (about ½ C)
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature, with the rack 3 inches from heat source.
- For salsa, combine all ingredients and toss well. Chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. (Salsa can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.)
- Cut chicken into thin strips, and place them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil for 8–10 minutes.
- To assemble the quesadillas, place four whole-wheat tortillas on the counter top or table. Top each with one-quarter of the sliced cooked chicken, salt, chili sauce, cheese, and pine nuts (optional).
- Fold tortillas in half to close, and carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake quesadillas at 350 ºF for 5–10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve one quesadilla with ½ cup salsa on the side.
Tip: Delicious with a side of fresh grilled corn-on-the-cob.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 339, Total fat 11 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 62 mg, Sodium 453 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 26 g, Carbohydrates 32 g, Potassium 454 mg.