Chicken Chile Stew
The ultimate comfort food, with lower saturated fat and cholesterol.
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 45 MINS
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breast or leg), cubed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 7 green chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Spray a heavy iron skillet with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Brown the chicken cubes, in batches, with cooking spray as needed.
- Place the meat in a 3- or 4-quart casserole (with cover), and add the remaining ingredients.
- Deglaze the skillet: On high heat, add some cold water and scrape the hardened juices with a spoon or spatula to dissolve them into the water. Add the sauce to the casserole.
- Add water to barely cover the ingredients. Cover the casserole, and simmer until the stew is thick and the meat is very tender, about 1½ hours.
- Add black pepper to taste before serving.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 189, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 82 mg, Sodium 90 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 30 g, Carbohydrates 5 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.