20 Minute Chicken Creole
This quick Southern-style dish contains no added fat and very little added salt in
its spicy tomato sauce.
PREP TIME :
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 C canned whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 C chili sauce (look for lowest sodium version)
- 1½ C green bell pepper, rinsed and chopped
- 1½ C celery, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ C onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- Spray sauté pan with cooking spray. Preheat over high heat.
- Cook chicken in hot sauté pan, stirring for 3–5 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Tip: Delicious served over rice.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 274, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 73 mg, Sodium 383 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 30 g, Carbohydrates 30 g, Potassium 944 mg.